Lord Byron by Professor John Beckett


Newstead Abbey

The west front of Newstead Abbey, 1813.
The west front of Newstead Abbey, 1813.

Built by Sir John Byron in the 1540s retaining some of the walls of the dissolved Priory. Owned by the Byrons until 1817, and subsequently by Colonel Thomas Wildman (d. 1859), the Webb family (until 1931), and Nottingham City Council. Lord Byron was the owner from 1798 until 1817, but he lived in the house only for brief periods, in 1798, 1808, 1811, and 1814. He never took his wife, Annabelle Milbanke to Newstead, which she saw only many years after the separation.

Burgage Manor, Southwell

Burgage Manor, Southwell.
Burgage Manor, Southwell.

76, St James Street.
76, St James Street (house on the left).

In 1803 Mrs Byron took a lease of Burgage Manor in Southwell, described at the time as ‘a handsome new house and very pleasantly situated'. It was built about 1780, and overlooked Burgage Green. She lived in the house until 1808.

St. James Street, Nottingham

Soon after moving to Nottinghamshire, Byron and his mother took up residence at 76 St James Street. A small plaque outside the house now commemorates their stay here between 1798 and 1799.

The Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene, Hucknall

After Byron's death in 1824 his body was brought back to Nottinghamshire and laid to rest in the Byron family vault in Hucknall parish church. On view in the chancel are many Byron memorials including a marble slab given by the King of Greece which has been laid directly above Byron as well as a wall-mounted plaque inscribed with quotes from Tennyson and Shelley.