- Report of the Select Committee on the petition of Framework Knitters, 1812
- Royal Commission enquiring into the conditions of Framework Knitters, 1845
- History of machine-wrought hosiery and lace manufactory, W Felkin, (1867)
Extract from a letter from "A Poor Stockinger" to The Nottingham Review.
Newspapers of the period are important sources and can be consulted at the Local Studies Library at Nottingham Central Library. The following are particularly incisive into the wages and conditions of framework knitters:
- Nottingham Review 8 March 1811;
- Nottingham Review 1 May 1812;
- Nottingham Journal 30 September 1825;
- Nottingham Review 3 November 1826;
- Nottingham Review 12 June 1829;
- Nottingham Journal 8 December 1837.
- Nottingham Review 4 December 1841.
- Bradbury, D J. Lost Mansfield, Old Mansfield Society, 1986
- Brocklesby, R. 'William Robinson, Senior, Nottingham Hosier (How They Lived, 2)', Nottinghamshire Local History Council. Newsletter. no. 11, 1973, 5-7. Repr. with minimal changes, as 'The Last Will and Testament of William Robinson, Senior', NC (in NT) (Jan 1974), -.
- Chapman, S. D. ed. 'Memoirs of Two Eighteenth-Century Framework Knitters', Textile History, 1 1968, 103- 118. [Caleb Herring of Nottingham and William Felkin (1745-1838) of Bramcote.]
- Chapman, S.D. Hosiery and Knitwear: Four Centuries of Small-Scale Industry in Britain, c.1589-2000, Oxford, 2002. [Brings together and updates much of Chapman's earlier work, and has extensive reference to the Nottingham area.]
- Felkin, William. A History of the Machine-wrought Hosiery And Lace Manufactures, 1867 [available online: www.archive.org/details/historyofmachine00felkuoft]
- Morley, Don with Bradbury, D J. From Mines to Mills, Old Mansfield Society, 1996
- Nottinghamshire Family History Society Record Series 136: Nottingham Watch and ward lists 1812 and 1816.
- Nottinghamshire Family History Society Vol.5 No 8 July 1987
- Rogers, A. Rural industries and Social Structure: the framework knitting industry of South Nottinghamshire 1670-1840 in Textile History, 13 1982, 7-35.
- Ruddington - The Framework knitters - An Industrial Village in 1851. RFKnitters shop Preservation Trust, 1993
- Thomas, Malcolm I. The Luddites. Machine breaking in Regency England, 1970
- Weir, Christopher. As Poor as a Stockinger. Framework Knitting & The Luddites in Nottinghamshire, Nottinghamshire County Council Community Services, 1998
- Wright, Brian. Professional cricket and the Ruddington Framework Knitters, Ruddington Framework Knitters Museum, 1996
Ruddington Framework Knitters Museum, Chapel Street, Ruddington, Notts.
There is a very good small library at the museum with a vast amount of literature relating to the hosiery industry. The Smirfitt library is accessible on request.