Gravestones in the Polish War Graves plot at Newark Cemetery (photograph courtesy of the SPS Polish Heritage Project).
Polish War Graves, Newark Cemetery
Memorial Cross at Newark Cemetery (photograph courtesy of the SPS Polish Heritage Project).
Four Polish squadrons of the RAF operated around Newark in World War Two, based at Ingham, Syerston, Swinderby and Winthorpe. A plot in Newark Cemetery contains the graves of nearly 350 Polish airmen who were killed during the conflict.
The memorial cross to the Polish airmen buried here was unveiled in 1941 by President Raczkiewicz, head of the wartime Polish Government in London and General Sikorski, Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Forces and wartime Polish Prime Minister. When both men subsequently died they were buried at the foot of the memorial. General Sikorski's remains were exhumed and reburied in the royal crypts in Krakow's Wawel Cathedral in 1993, but there is still a memorial to him at Newark.
Church of Our Lady of Czestochowa, Nottingham
The church was built in 1973 and is located on Sherwood Rise in Nottingham. Photographs of the church can be found on the website: http://www.parafianottingham.org.uk/galeria/kosciol.html
Forest Town Hostel
A large housing estate and a library now stand on the site of the Forest Town Hostel in Mansfield.