Sutton-in-Ashfield by Andrew Nicholson with Matthew Reid

Cartographic

Printed

Extract from Chapman's map of Nottinghamshire (1774).Extract from Chapman's map of Nottinghamshire (1774).

John Chapman’s map of Nottinghamshire (1774) is the earliest printed map at a sufficiently useful scale (1 statute mile to one inch) to provide basic information on town and village layout and the existence of landscape features such as roads, parkland and mills. A facsimile version was published by Nottinghamshire County Council in 2003.

George Sanderson’s map of the county twenty miles around Mansfield, originally published in 1835, covers most of Nottinghamshire at a useful scale of 2¼ inches to 1 mile (showing fields, individual buildings, roads, industrial sites, parish and township boundaries, etc) has been produced by Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Library Services:

Ordnance Survey

25" to the mile map of the centre of Sutton-in-Ashfield (1913-14).25" to the mile Ordnance Survey map of the centre of Sutton-in-Ashfield (1913-14).

Large scale Ordnance Survey maps from the late 19th and early 20th centuries show the town and its features in great detail:

These maps are available online:

Manuscript

Chatsworth Archives

Although a 1609 survey of Sutton has survived and is published in Mastoris and Groves (1997) the associated plan has been lost. However, William Senior mapped the parish in 1610 and the map (in two parts) is held in the Chatsworth Archives (ref: CH34, William Senior’s surveys of the estates of the Earls of Devonshire):

The associated survey has been published in Fowkes, D. V. and Potter, G. R. (eds), William Senior’s survey of the estates of the First and Second Earls of Devonshire c.1600-28, Derbyshire Record Series Volume XIII (1988), pp39-43.

Welbeck Estate

The Welbeck Estate (www.welbeck.co.uk/contact/) also holds several maps of Sutton:

Nottinghamshire Archives