- Martyn Bennett (ed.) A Nottinghamshire village at war and peace: the accounts of the constables of Upton 1640-1666, Thoroton Society Record Series 39, (Nottingham 1995).
- John Beckett (ed.) A Centenary History of Nottingham, Manchester University Press, Manchester, 1997, pp165-186
- Martyn Bennett, ‘The King’s Gambit: Charles I and Nottingham in the summer of 1642’, Transactions of the Thoroton Society, XCVI, 1992
- Martyn Bennett, Stuart Jennings and Martin Whyld, 'Two Military Account Books for the Civil War in Nottinghamshire' Transactions of the Thoroton Society, XCX, 1996
- Martyn Bennett '"My Plundered Townes, My Houses Devastation": The Civil War North Midlands Life, 1642-46', Midland History, XXII, 1997
- Brackenbury, Robin, Brothers at War: the Story of the Pierrepoint Family in the Civil War, Ashbracken, Radcliffe on Trent, 1992
- Brown, A., ‘“Truth is a desirable thing” Propaganda and Nottinghamshire During the English Civil War’ Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, C., 1996
- Brown, Cornelius, The Annals of Newark on Trent, Brown, London, 1879
- Brown, Cornelius, The History of Newark on Trent, Brown, Newark, 1906
- Jennings, S B., ‘Colonel Isham Parkyns (1601-1671), 'Nottinghamshire's forgotton Royalist', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 104(2000), pp.65-71
- Jennings, S. B. 'A miserable, stinking, infected town': pestilence, plague and death in a Civil War garrison, Newark 1640-1649, Midland History, 28 (2003), 51-70
- Bunny and Bradmore, 1640-1690: Change and Continuity in an Age of Revolutions, MA dissertation, Nottingham University, 1991.
- Lloyd, P., Politics and the Personnel of politics in Nottingham, 1642-1688, MPhil, Nottingham University, 1983
- Malcolm, J., ‘A king in search of soldiers, Charles I in 1642’, Historical Journal, 21m 2, 1978
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, Newark upon Trent: The Civil War Siegeworks, HMSO, London, 1972.
- Seddon. P. 'The Nottinghamshire Elections for the Short Parliament of 1640'. Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, vol. LXXXIV, (1976)
- Seddon, P.R., ‘Marriage and Inheritance in the Clifton Family During the Seventeenth Century’, Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, 84 (1980), pp. 33-43.
- Seddon, P ‘Sir Gervase Clifton and the Government of Nottinghamshire, 1609-1640’, Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, 97 (1993), pp. 88-98.
- Sherwood, R.E. The Civil War in the Midlands, Stroud: Sutton, 1992
- Thoroton, Robert, The Antiquities of Nottinghamshire, ed. by John Throsby, 3 Volumes (Nottingham: E.P. Publishing, 1972).
- Warner, Tim. Newark: Civil War and Siegeworks. Nottingham: Nottinghamshire County Council, 1992
- Wood, A.C., Nottinghamshire in the Civil War, (Originally published 1937,Wakefield,S.R. Reprint, 1971)